Many thanks Edward for your answer.

        Comments below.

Le 5 juin 09 à 10:24, Edward Pilatowicz a écrit :

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 09:39:12AM +0200, Nicolas Dorfsman wrote:

Le 5 juin 09 à 04:45, Edward Pilatowicz a écrit :

ipkg seems to be a great advanced techno.
Anyway, it's incredible to remove the inherit-pkg facility.

no one removed inherit-pkg-dir. inherit-pkg-dir is closely tied to svr4
packaging, and it still works for systems that use svr4 packaging.

but opensoalris uses ipkg, and ipkg replaces svr4.  so if we want
inherit-pkg-dir support we'd need to re-implement it for ipkg. that is
work that hasn't been done yet.

inherit-pkg-dir has a lot of sense in many users context !

yes, we (the zones development team, of which i am a member) are well
aware of that.

I really can't understand how somebody could have validated this : "hey
ipkg great thing, sparse-zone bad thing...let's remove this".

that never happened.

Great !

Where is the team who create the zone concept here ?

you're talking to them on this forum.

Where is the thread I missed where this great feature suppression was
discussed ?  Is there only developpers on board ?

calm down.
take a deep breath.

:)

there is no "feature suppression" going on.

Thanks ! And sorry.
I was really afraid (as you've seen).
There was too many "don't think about it, maybe in Solaris next, maybe not" this last year for me.

ipkg is changing a lot of things.  ipkg zones currently don't support
all the functionality that svr4 zones do.  there's still a lot of work
here to be done.

wrt inherit-pkg-dir, we (the zones team) are aware that it provides
certain indirect features that users like.  for example:
- keeping zone software contents in sync with the global zone
- read only filesystem (an artifact of using lofi)
- etc.

as we work on improving the ipkg brand we will be looking at these types
of features (previously provided by the inherit-pkg-dir option) and
evaluating how they should best be implemented in the ipkg brand.
(either via the inherit-pkg-dir option as everyone currently knows it,
or perhaps via multiple new options that can be used to replace the old
inherit-pkg-dir.)

Ok.

if you'd like to participate in this development process then you've
come to the right place.

Well, for now, I've spent most of my "OpenSolaris dedicated time" on advocacy/evangelise actions. Many times I thought about participating on development...I'm not sure to have the correct brain.
But I have to think about it.

Nicolas