Hi!

Yves Bastide wrote:
yuppie wrote:

2.) GenericSetup explicitly doesn't support non-UTF-8 site settings. If someone provides a good patch this feature can be added.

But with the problems you mention later ('default_charset', 'management_page_charset', and so on), how would you envision it?

Maybe PropertyManagerHelpers should have a _properties_encoding attribute that defaults to utf-8 and can be easily overridden by subclasses.

Or we try to set the default encoding the same way manage_propertiesForm does. That might be even better than using always utf-8.

The adapters shipped with CMF would be responsible for CMF-specific modifications to _properties_encoding.

3.) GenericSetup is not tested with non-ASCII UTF-8 site settings. AFAIK import works, but not export. I consider this a bug.

Neither: CMF trunk, change portal_types/Document's title to 'Dôcument', export:

Traceback (innermost last):
  Module Products.GenericSetup.tool, line 471, in manage_exportAllSteps
  Module Products.GenericSetup.tool, line 272, in runAllExportSteps
  Module Products.GenericSetup.tool, line 736, in _doRunExportSteps
Module Products.CMFCore.exportimport.typeinfo, line 198, in exportTypesTool
  Module Products.GenericSetup.utils, line 728, in exportObjects
  Module Products.GenericSetup.utils, line 722, in exportObjects
  Module Products.GenericSetup.utils, line 501, in _exportBody
  Module xml.dom.minidom, line 62, in toprettyxml
  Module StringIO, line 271, in getvalue
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xf4 in position 20: ordinal not in range(128)

This traceback just confirms that export does not work. Is import also broken?

Thanks for setting me right. What's the usefulness of getEncoding()? As you say, exported files don't need to be other than utf-8 encoded.

I guess it just exists for historical reasons.

Well, I think I can wriggle out of most of my problems using translation. And I'll try and write UTF-8 unit tests if nobody beats me to it.

That would be great.

Cheers,

        Yuppie