Chris Withers wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>>> If you fail to use -k, the zope test runner will delete bytecode for all
>>> your products - including mxODBCZopeDA, which has no .py files to fall
>>> back on.  Ouch. I'll investigate further - there might be a bug to file
>>> against zope.testing.
>> Why does the test runner delete .pyc files in directories it
>> doesn't own ?
> The common case used to be:
> 1. run tests in a checkout (generates .pyc's for each .py file imported)
> 2. svn up, which deletes a load of .py files
> 3. re-run tests, curse and swear that there are still .pyc files lying
>    around that got imported, and you only noticed when your production
>    environment broke, because you rebuild that out from scratch on
>    upgrade
> the "autho-pyc-destructor" was built ;-)

Sounds like a developer setup :-)

For those I do have a solution:

chown root.zope .../Products/mxODBCZopeDA
chmod 750 .../Products/mxODBCZopeDA

(provided zope is the group of the Zope daemon)

That way you prevent deletions in the product directory
by any user other than root.

> I have to echo Jens' sentiments though: why not just ship .py files and
> be done with it?

See my reply to Jens.

Marc-Andre Lemburg

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 13 2006)