Jim Penny wrote:
But, what does all of this have to do with index:, key:, int:, etc.?
index: and key: are particularly interesting, in that they use
different syntax for something that python conflates syntactically. That is, an integer indexed reference looks exactly like a string
indexed reference, both have form structure[key].

I proposed distinct key: and item: in order to kill some implicit magic before it was born:

"x/key:0" is the same as "python:x['0']", while "x/item:0" is the same as "python:x[0]".

It seems clear to me that subpath prefixes are going to be part of Zope 3, no matter how opinion on this thread goes. It wasn't hard to implement them for Zope 2, and I find them useful. While I agree that someone who can deal well with "x/item:0" will have no problem with "python:x[0]", I also assert that many such people would join me in prefering "options/lib/data/my.sql/call:/item:0/state" to "options['lib'].data['my.sql']()[0].state" if only because the former allows me to specify access methods *only* for the exceptions to the norm, not for every path step. If that isn't valuable, what about path expressions is?

I also offer for general consideration the following:

options/foo/item:0 | request/foo/item:0 | default
data/stat/fmt:thousands_commas | string:No data.

Python expression equivalents, please?

Evan @ 4-am