Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

On 20 Dec 2005, at 08:51, Stefan H. Holek wrote:

On 18. Dez 2005, at 17:58, Tim Peters wrote:

Nobody should be installing from a checkout to begin with, right?

Ok, so that's probably where we disagree then ;-)

I almost exclusively work with checkouts, and I would think many developers (as opposed to "users") do. Is there really no way to allow "make install" to work from a sandbox?

I strongly disagree as well. I believe it is normal practice to grab a tag or branch tip from subversion and install that. Why would I ever grab some tarball when I'm at the command line already and use svn for everything else, anyway?

I'm not happy about this change either -- I just ran into it. I did the 'configure; make; make install' dance, and suddenly I run into an error. I like working with release tarballs but I don't like the experience to be different when I do a checkout. The least I expect is to run into an error message that doesn't tell me anything.