Florent Guillaume wrote:
Yes but the deprecation has been there for a while, and the third party product developers have been ignoring the warning. Their loss. And this is only for Zope 2.10 which I doubt these third party products are using at the moment. If we don't remove things at some point, there's no point in doing deprecation warnings.

This and things like it have been niggling me for a while now and I guess this finally prompted me to write a mail on it...

I know the good reasoning behind the time-based releases, but have they really worked out?

As someone else who never has enough time to "keep up" with releases I've found the introduction of time-based releases a generally negative thing.

I don't say that lightly, they certainly sounded like a great idea when they were introduced but I've experienced more bugs, a helluva lot more pointless deprecation squeal and a lot more "upgrade fear" since this process was introduced. For me, the fact that Zope 2.9.3 still emits deprecation warnings on a fresh install (zLOG...) is a pretty bad sign.

I dunno, it just feels like features are being rammed in and a _lot_ of stuff is being deprecated, sometimes without as much thought as should be given. Change for change's sake is never a good thing. As a result, I'm still mainly on a mix of Zope 2.7 and 2.8, and finally taking timid steps to 2.9 for some projects, all of which have required new versions of just about every add-on product.

Now, this could all be seen as fair game, Zope _is_ going through a period of big and positive change as Zope 2 and Zope 3 converge, things like zLOG finally get put to rest and we move onto newer more powerful versions of python.

If that's the case, then I hope we, as a community, "get there" at some point and can get back to focusing on the stability of the good ol' days.

Would be interested to know what other people think...

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk