--On 10. April 2008 21:29:43 +0200 Brian Sutherland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 07:31:54PM +0200, Andreas Jung wrote:

--On 10. April 2008 19:10:49 +0200 Brian Sutherland

Just adding my few requirements:
    - Integration into the component architecture in such a way that I
      can specify the db connection parameters in ZCML and that database
      reflection still works. I want to be able to get a handle on
SQLAlchemy       things by calling getUtility.

Please *NO* database specific configurations within ZCML. We're running
applications in up three or four different environments and I don't want
to  maintain instance specific configurations within ZCML. Either we pass
such informations through environment variables or the database
connections  parameters are read from a configuration within the
instance configuration.

What defines if something is the instance configuration?

Isn't ZCML just another format of configuration file? I agree it's evil
to hardcode database connections in the application as they must be
under the control of the sysadmin. But that doesn't preclude them from
being expressed in zcml.

The point is: we don't need yet another configuration language for the configuration of a site. ZCML should be used for the purpose it has been intended for: for the configuration of the components of your site (easily spoken). This kind of configuration is static if you setup a site for project X. But settings like ports, paths etc. often differ between dev, test and production environments.

We already have ZConfig as standard cofniguration language for instance specific configuration aspects. In addition: we often do use environment variables and .ini files for additional configurations. Introducing another configuration language is stupid. Especially because system administrators or co-workers know little or nothing about ZCML. This is an unnecessary introduction of complexity. Setting an environment variable with a DSN is much easier then having to fiddle around with ZCML and XML...totally unnecessary overhead....keep it simple ...using ZCML in this configuration context is only for XML masochists.