On 11.04.2008, at 10:09, Brian Sutherland wrote:
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem an option, right now, to avoid using ZCML to setup database connections. So I'm not sure how you want to implement
your ideas?

k, i didn't read the whole thread, but we (lovely systems) use zope.storm but i think its the same story somehow and we do all instance specific configuration in zcml - also database uris. we have a base.zcml config for all instances and include this it and do all instance specific configuration in an instance specific zcml file. this file is then used with the site-definition otpion in zope.conf. i can see no reason why we should avoid zcml except in environments where there is no zcml at all.

although it is a few lines of code to get db uris from somewhere else, and this could also be application code

regards, bernd