--On 11. April 2008 08:36:43 +0100 Martin Aspeli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Martijn Faassen wrote:
Andreas Jung wrote:
--On 10. April 2008 19:10:49 +0200 Brian Sutherland
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Just adding my few requirements:
    - Integration into the component architecture in such a way that I
      can specify the db connection parameters in ZCML and that
      database reflection still works. I want to be able to get a
      handle on
SQLAlchemy       things by calling getUtility.
Please *NO* database specific configurations within ZCML. We're running
applications in up three or four different environments and I don't
want  to maintain instance specific configurations within ZCML. Either
we pass such informations through environment variables or the database
connections parameters are read from a configuration within the
instance  configuration.

As long as it can also be specified in the code, that way people can
build UIs to set up the connection. Perhaps that's what you mean by a
"configuration within the instance configuration".

The way I use collective.lead in my book is to have it look up the
database settings in a local utility. That utility is editable via a
control panel page in Plone. I suspect that it'd be quite easy to do
something similar where the settings were deferred to a global utility
configured with ZCML or looked up in a config file of some sort.

Once the config is available, it's all about calling getUtility() to get
hold of a database connection/session.

Possibly a sane and clean solution but way of over-designed. I am interested in simple and robust solutions that work and not in a solution that adds more and more unnecessary layers just the sake of having them :-)

Andreas