Martijn Faassen wrote:
Kent Tenney wrote:
From Kevin's blog

Very interesting. I hadn't seen that. I wonder *how* it is using buildout's machinery.

Ah, the blog entry answers that question:

"But, its support for the various libraries is quite shallow right now, and zc.buildout/virtualenv are not at all represented yet."

I haven't thought about this deeply yet, but I actually see the declarative style that buildout enforces as an advantage. I've seen enough files with all kinds of custom Python hacks to try to make things work to be wary of such approaches.

In addition, buildout makes you create recipes, and recipes are, at least in potential, reusable. Reusable things can help breed community. Snippets of Python don't breed community.