I agree that this is an interesting idea. I have a couple thoughts.

* There's something appealing about a collection of files that describe how URLs are mapped to databases, static files, etc. This could serve as a sort of site map for developers.

* I agree with Roger this might make sense for small projects. However, for the small projects that I work on I more often need dynamic but not persistent stuff, rather than static file serving. So this proposal would appeal more to me if one could "mount" non-persistent object, e.g. modules in the URL space (a la Bobo).

-Amos