Jim Fulton wrote:
Martijn Faassen wrote:
Jim Fulton wrote:
[snip]

I'm not certain that we're actively supporting either server.

But *in practice* we're supporting the Twisted integration, as that's the only one that people use now, right?

Wrong. Use != support.
[snip]

Such a flat out "Wrong." from you invites me to continue quibbling over semantics some more, but I'll close this section of the discussion now. :)

 > Now on to what we would *like* to do...

I'm having second thoughts about the Twisted integration for a number of reasons:

* Twisted people actively dislike eggs. They won't eggify Twisted any time soon.

Yes, but I think they do use distutils source releases, so I think that
shouldn't be a problem.  Do their source releases not work with eggs?

Last time I checked it didn't. I checked again. First I tried this to pull in a Twisted egg:

[buildout]
parts = devpython

[devpython]
recipe = zc.recipe.egg
interpreter = devpython
eggs = Twisted

That failed with it complaining it didn't have the ZopeInterface installed. Unfortunately zope.interface doesn't install with buildout yet, so this won't work:

[buildout]
parts = devpython

[devpython]
recipe = zc.recipe.egg
interpreter = devpython
eggs = zope.interface Twisted

even if zope.interface were downloaded and installed I'm not sure whether Twisted's check would pass or succeed. Would zope.interface be placed on the path during the buildout process so that Twisted would see it?

In general, it makes me uncomfortable to be relying on there being an egg when the project appears to have an active antipathy to easy_install and eggs.

* Twisted async approach doesn't really match Zope's threaded approach.

That isn't necessarily a problem. ZServer is based on an async approach too. The impression I have, however, maybe incorrect, is that the Twisted community isn't very interested in supporting applications not written according to the Twisted Way.

I have the same impression. I can't blame them for that really; Zope is no different, though of course we're not in the server business. :)

I think that this makes their interest in WSGI, which allows someone to use Twisted without using the twisted APIs, marginal at best.

The discussion in the blog entry on that libevent based server gave me a bit of hope for Twisted's WSGI support, but I don't know whether any action has been taken.

Regards,

Martijn