On May 30, 2007, at 3:20 PM, Christian Theune wrote:

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 30.05.2007, 15:12 -0400 schrieb Benji York:
Jim Fulton wrote:
It's actually worse than that.  <2.0 would admit 2.0a1. :)  You'd
probably need something like < 1.99.

I can deal with spelling dependencies on major version X as <= X.999.

Even if developers remembered, it would be icky to have to spell out
something like >=3.4 <=3.99 on everwhere.

Not as icky (IMHO) as having distribution names with embedded major
version numbers.  I'm interested in other people's opinions here.

I don't like version numbers encoded in package names. I consider this
to be a work-around for packaging systems that aren't rich enough.

(Gentoo for example gets this right.)

Could you elaborate on this?

Maybe there is some kind of dependency syntax that reads well that
means "I want this major version". Can you think of a syntax that is
actually nicer than foo2?

I can think of a syntax, but don't know if setuptools supports it.
Perhaps I should look that up.  But I wont.

I read the documentation on the version numbers multiple times and can't
remember anything that supports our use case.

Maybe we should as pje whether there is something like what we imagine?

I think I know what the answer will be. After all, there is a syntax for getting what we want. The problem with it, IMO, and I think in other people's opinion is that it is too cumbersome.

IMO, having every dependency look like:

   project_name >=X.y.z <X.999

Is too cumbersome. Maybe we should get over that. Maybe many other people don't think it's too cumbersome. Alternatively, maybe someone can think of a prettier/more-concise syntax and sell it to PJE.

I'll note that this is especially cumbersome if, as I believe, for 90% of packages, there isn't any good reason to make backward compatible changes, at least after initial development. So all packages would end up getting a dependency-specification tax even though only a few packages will need backward compatibility changes.

Jim

Powered!
CTO                             (540) 361-1714
http://www.python.org