Jim Fulton wrote:
It's actually worse than that. <2.0 would admit 2.0a1. :) You'd probably need something like < 1.99.

I can deal with spelling dependencies on major version X as <= X.999.

Even if developers remembered, it would be icky to have to spell out something like >=3.4 <=3.99 on everwhere.

Not as icky (IMHO) as having distribution names with embedded major version numbers. I'm interested in other people's opinions here.

Maybe there is some kind of dependency syntax that reads well that means "I want this major version". Can you think of a syntax that is actually nicer than foo2?

I can think of a syntax, but don't know if setuptools supports it. Perhaps I should look that up. But I wont.
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer
Zope Corporation