On Sep 26, 2007, at 1:18 PM, Fred Drake wrote:

On 9/26/07, Martijn Faassen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
What does one need to tell setup.py to make sure CHANGES.txt is
available? I understand it isn't by default, then? Hm, it does appear to
be there by default. I checked grok 0.10's tgz and it's there, and we
didn't do anything special.

Do you mean available in the unpacked sdist, or as part of the
installation?  I don't think any of README, README.txt, CHANGES,
CHANGES.txt (from the root of the distribution, not from inside the
package) are actually installed.  If they are, I'd love to know where.

By default READM(.txt) is installed in a source distribution. Anything else in the root (aside from setup.py of course and source files themselves) aren't without extra setup chants. (These chants can be figured out with some effort. I never remember them, so, if I want to do something like this, I have to figure them out again or try to find an example with them.)

If we are going to have a change log, which we should, I would prefer it to be included in source distributions. Including a file other that README in the root requires extra effort that I don't want to require -- writing setup.py files is hard enough as it is.

I'm not crazy about Tres' idea of putting these files in the Python packages themselves, but it does have the advantage that it causes the files to be included in eggs as well as source distributions.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation