On Sep 26, 2007, at 3:32 PM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

Jim Fulton wrote:
On Sep 26, 2007, at 1:18 PM, Fred Drake wrote:
On 9/26/07, Martijn Faassen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
What does one need to tell setup.py to make sure CHANGES.txt is
available? I understand it isn't by default, then? Hm, it does appear to be there by default. I checked grok 0.10's tgz and it's there, and we
didn't do anything special.

Do you mean available in the unpacked sdist, or as part of the
installation?  I don't think any of README, README.txt, CHANGES,
CHANGES.txt (from the root of the distribution, not from inside the
package) are actually installed. If they are, I'd love to know where.
By default READM(.txt) is installed in a source distribution. Anything else in the root (aside from setup.py of course and source files themselves) aren't without extra setup chants. (These chants can be figured out with some effort. I never remember them, so, if I want to do something like this, I have to figure them out again or try to find an example with them.)

I was wrong. Dang. I think I understand setuptools/distutils and I'm proven wrong again. Sheesh.

Actually, no package data is ever included unless you're either

* working from an svn checkout, in which case setuptools will use the list of which files are in svn and which aren't as a hint of what to include and what not

Certainly, I expect CHANGES.txt to be in svn. I've just doeble checked that files from the root of the package that are checked into svn *are* included in sdists.

I retract my objection to CHANGES.txt and offer my apologies.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation