On 26 Sep 2007, at 23:41 , Stephan Richter wrote:
On Wednesday 26 September 2007 17:34, Jim Fulton wrote:
On Sep 26, 2007, at 5:28 PM, Stephan Richter wrote:
On Wednesday 26 September 2007 17:18, Jim Fulton wrote:
- Update changes.txt, adding a heading for the new # and date

- Create a tag

- check out or switch to the tag

- Set the version in setup.py on the tag. Check it in.

- Make the release from the tag.

Changing tags is not that good. I'd rather check in a aversion number
then. ;-)

This is exactly what we've been doing for Zope 3 releases -- for the
same reason.  I think it is the one acceptable and reasonable change
to a tag.  The benefit of forcing us to release from a tag is, imo,
significant.

Here is a problem that I discussed with Marius earlier today.

I often do not know whether all my setup.py settings are correct until I try to upload a release. I frequently get the "Development Status" classifier wrong and I won't be told it is wrong until I try to register the release.

A good way to catch errors before you mess with the CheeseShop is to create the egg info and look at it:

  $ python setup.py egg_info
  $ less src/EGG.egg-info/PKG-INFO

So I usually create the release first and upload it and after that create the
tag.

Well, you could just as well re-tag when you screwed up. Or just fix minor things on the tag and merge them back to the branch.