On 27 Sep 2007, at 12:20 , Stephan Richter wrote:
egg_info does not validate the trove classifiers, for example. I tried this
last night before writing this mail.

Well, to be honest, I wonder how you can mess up with the classifiers. I just always copy them from http://pypi.python.org/pypi? %3Aaction=list_classifiers. Anything else is just insane...

But, if you wish for such a tool, let your wish be my command. With the attached verifyclassifiers.py script, you may do so using the following command:

  python setup.py --classifiers | python verifyclassifiers.py

If the the setup.py file has a syntax error, I will know about it when running buildout.

True, but running buildout can take a long time.

* You can generate an egg or a tarball locally, without uploading it.
Then you can take a look at the tarball or the egg. Unzip it if necessary. Call python setup.py egg_info inside the tarball, if necessary, to see if all the CHANGES.txt, README.txt etc. files are there as well, especially when you know
  you messed this part up before.

Still does not solve my problem use case.

   You could also easy_install the egg and/or tarball in a virtualenv
   (so that your global site-packages won't be affected).

I still do not see how this solves the problem.

They're measures for making sure the distribution has the right metadata and is easy_install'able. What other problem do we have?

import sys
import urllib2

url = 'http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=list_classifiers'
file = urllib2.urlopen(url)
valid_classifiers = file.read().splitlines()

for classifier in sys.stdin:
    classifier = classifier.rstrip() # cut of new line at the end
    if classifier not in valid_classifiers:
        print >>sys.stderr, "Invalid classifier:", classifier