On 27 Sep 2007, at 04:52 , Stephan Richter wrote:
On Wednesday 26 September 2007 20:35, Tres Seaver wrote:
So I usually create the release first and upload it and after that create
the tag.

-100.  Get it right, check it in, *then* upload the distribution.

We do not have the tools. There is simply no telling beforehand. Marius and I
worked on the ideas of a  tool that he proposed earlier today.

There is some telling beforehand:

* As I already said, you can generate all the package metadata with

    python setup.py egg_info

and then inspect it in src/EGG.egg-info/PKG-INFO. This is equivalent to checking the PyPI page, it contains the same information. I frequently do this, also to make sure my setup.py actually executes before I tag (I often forget a comma or so.)

* You can generate an egg or a tarball locally, without uploading it. Then you can take a look at the tarball or the egg. Unzip it if necessary. Call python setup.py egg_info inside the tarball, if necessary, to see if all the CHANGES.txt, README.txt etc. files are there as well, especially when you know you messed this part up
  before.

You could also easy_install the egg and/or tarball in a virtualenv (so that your
  global site-packages won't be affected).