I think autopoiesis is an important concept, which has been underappreciated
in AI because its original advocates (Varela especially) tied it in with
anti-computationalism

Varela liked to contrast autopoietic systems with computational ones

OTOH, I think of autopoiesis as a emergent property that computational
systems are capable of giving rise to...

-- Ben G