Terren,

Yes, I think you're taking your ideas too far. Manifestly living organisms are
not continually changing structurally -  we have consistent bodies and brains
with a rough plan to them, which is how we hold together so well,   It is only
in computer programs and models, that you can have things that are continually
changing and evolving structurally. Natural evolution is vastly slower and more
punctuated.

I actually think you're misinterpreting autopoiesis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autopoiesis

although it really is a poorly set-out concept both in Varela and WIki.

One of its features is that organisms are self-building - in the very middle of
interacting with the world, (like Dawkins' plane self-building in mid-flight).

The others are to do with what I've been talking about -  how organisms
"maintain the whole"  -

"the term autopoiesis resembles the dynamics of a non-equilibrium system; that
is, organized states (sometimes also called dissipative structures) that remain
stable for long periods of time despite matter and energy continually flowing
through them. From a very general point of view, the notion of autopoiesis is
often associated with that of self-organization. However, an autopoietic system
is autonomous and operationally closed, in the sense that every process within
it directly helps maintaining the whole"

One of the big deals then about organisms is they take in all these radically
different foods, in often highly changeable diets, and are subect to different
environments,  and yet still "maintain the whole" - keep a fairly consistent if
nevertheless flexible structure - (flexible, for example, by way of getting
fatter or thinner)..

And Maturana/Varela's definition also stresses how organisms maintain " a
concrete unity in  space"

"An autopoietic machine is a machine organized (defined as a unity) as a
network of processes of production (transformation and destruction) of
components which: (i) through their interactions and transformations
continuously regenerate and realize the network of processes (relations) that
produced them; and (ii) constitute it (the machine) as a concrete unity in
space in which they (the components) exist by specifying the topological domain
of its realization as such a network." (Maturana, Varela, 1980, p. 78)

By extension, we also, as physicopsychological organisms, maintain a constant
sense of self  and identity,  despite continually processing a vast range of
bits and pieces of ill-organized information, and assuming a wide range of
social roles and personas in different activities (and it would be interesting
to see any AGI proposals to do similar).

I think I'm right that autopoiesis is much more about maintaining the whole
("keeping it together, man") than evolution.

But it is an appallingly messily presented  concept.

  Terren:

        Well, "identity" is not a great choice of word, because it implies a
static nature. As far as I understand it, Maturana et al simply meant, that
which distinguishes the thing from its environment, in terms of its
self-organization. The nature of that self-organization is dynamic, always
changing. When it stops changing, in fact, it "loses its identity", it dies.

        I think also that you're confusing some sort of teleological principle
here with autopoieisis, as if there is a design involved. Life doesn't "adhere
to a flexible plan", it just goes, and it either works, or it doesn't. If it
works, and it is able to reproduce itself, then the pattern becomes persistent.

          MT/

          Terren,

          Thanks for reply. I think I have some idea, no doubt confused, about
how you want to evolve a system. But the big deal re autopoiesis for me -
correct me - is the capacity of a living system to *maintain its identity*
despite considerable disturbances. That can be both in the
embryonic/developmental stages and also later in life. A *simple* example of
the latter is an experiment where they screwed around with the nerves to a
monkey's hands, and neverthless its brain maps rewired themselves, so to speak,
to restore normal functioning within months. Neuroplasticity generally is an
example - the brain's capacity, when parts are damaged, to get new parts to
take on their functions.

          How a system can be evolved - computationally, say, as you propose  -
is, in my understanding, no longer quite such a problematic thing to understand
or implement. But how a living system manages to adhere to a flexible plan of
its identity despite disturbances, is, IMO, a much more problematic thing to
understand and implement. And that, for me - again correct me - is the essence
of autopoiesis,  (which BTW seems to me not the best explained of ideas - by
Varela & co).

                  Mike,

                  Autopoieisis is a basic building block of my philosophy of
life and of cognition as well. I see life as: doing work to maintain an
internal self-organization. It requires a boundary in which the entropy inside
the boundary is kept lower than the entropy outside. Cognition is autopoieitic
as well, although this is harder to see.

                  I have already shared my ideas on how to build a virtual
intelligence that satisfies this definition. But in summary, you'd design a
framework in which large numbers of interacting parts would evolve into an
environment with emergent, persistent entities. Through a guided process you
would make the environment more and more challenging, forcing the entities to
solve harder and harder problems to stay alive, corresponding with ever
increasing intelligence. At some distant point we may perhaps arrive at
something with human-level intelligence or beyond.

                  Terren