From: Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [agi] open or closed source for AGI project?
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Date: Friday, October 10, 2008, 12:55 PM

Terren,

Thanks for reply. I think I have some idea, no
doubt confused, about how you want to evolve a system. But the big deal re
autopoiesis for me - correct me - is the capacity of a living system to
*maintain its identity* despite considerable disturbances. That can be both in
the embryonic/developmental stages and also later in life. A *simple* example
of
the latter is an experiment where they screwed around with the nerves to a
monkey's hands, and neverthless its brain maps rewired themselves, so to speak,
to restore normal functioning within months. Neuroplasticity generally is an
example - the brain's capacity, when parts are damaged, to get new parts to
take
on their functions.

How a system can be evolved - computationally, say,
as you propose  - is, in my understanding, no longer quite such a
problematic thing to understand or implement. But how a living system manages
adhere to a flexible plan of its identity despite disturbances, is, IMO, a much
more problematic thing to understand and implement. And that, for me - again
correct me - is the essence of autopoiesis,  (which BTW seems to me not the
best explained of ideas - by Varela & co).

      Mike,

Autopoieisis is a basic building block of my
        philosophy of life and of cognition as well. I see life as: doing work
        to maintain an internal self-organization. It requires a boundary in
        which the entropy inside the boundary is kept lower than the entropy
        outside. Cognition is autopoieitic as well, although this is harder to
        see.

I have already shared my ideas on how to build a virtual
        intelligence that satisfies this definition. But in summary, you'd
        design a framework in which large numbers of interacting parts would
        evolve into an environment with emergent, persistent entities. Through
        guided process you would make the environment more and more
challenging,
        forcing the entities to solve harder and harder problems to stay alive,
        corresponding with ever increasing intelligence. At some distant point
        we may perhaps arrive at something with human-level intelligence or
        beyond.

Terren

--- On Fri, 10/10/08, Mike Tintner