Jeroen van Baardwijk wrote:

> I think it's rather odd that you have such mistrust of your
> government. After all, the people in your government are
> there because you *elected* them into those positions. Why
> do you vote for people you don't trust?

Because otherwise, we wouldn't have *any* government. You
can't trust *anybody* to always be a valuable public servant.
Power corrupts, so it's possible for even the nicest, most
heroic politician to become corrupt or power-hungry. We
need safeguards in place to keep it from causing too much
damage, when it happens.

> Likewise, I don't believe you speak for all Americans. FREX,
> you have stated earlier that Americans are supertolerant, but
> I know of a mailing list whose archive is full of examples of
> Americans being anything but tolerant towards other Americans
> and to non-Americans.

Please don't dredge this old stuff back up, if you want this
list to stay pleasant.

> Likewise, you claim that Americans have a great distrust of
> government, but I know some Americans who unquestioningly
> support the current Bush regime.

They're wrong to *unquestionably* support the Bush regime. It
gives me the creeps at least as much as the naive hero worship
of the Kennedys that I've seen.
Steve Sloan ......... Huntsville, Alabama =========> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brin-L list pages .............................. http://www.brin-l.org
Chmeee's 3D Objects .................... http://www.sloan3d.com/chmeee
3D and Drawing Galleries .................. http://www.sloansteady.com
Software ................ Science Fiction, Science, and Computer Links
Science fiction scans ......................... http://www.sloan3d.com