I don't know if I got Ibrahim's message right, but I think that there is no
real idea in continuing this discussion.
The original purpose was to highlight some probable causes why there is so
much anti-americanism out there, and I think those reasons have been
thoroughly clarified (and the Americans on the list have also had the
opportunity to defend the ways of their country). So I'm officially off this
discussion - meant in no offensive way, it's been good learning.

The Brin-part:
As stated earlier, I only read the three first books. Still, I find it
interesting that Humanity discovers that it is only one insignificant little
race in a society of vastly more powerful (and in many cases hostile) races.
A few hundred years ago we also gradually started to learn that the Earth
wasn't the center of the Universe.
In fact Earth is a small planet in a solar system centered on a medium-sized
sun located in the outer rim of our galaxy.
So what should be so special about Humanity?
It also presents Earth with some interesting challenges.
And fortunately it had the blind luck to meet the Tymbrimi (wasn't it them?)
and not, for example, the Tandu.

Med Venlig Hilsen / Sincerely
Martin Malmkvist