--- Jeroen van Baardwijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At Stardate 20030627.1753, Jan Coffey wrote:
>
> > > Does the American public actually have any idea about how we perceive
> your
> > > extreme distrust of government and anything that reeks of government
> > > involvement?
> >
> >No please explain.
>
> I already explained that in the sentence following the above sentence.

Well, I didn'tget it so you need to be more explicit.

> >We distrust governement becouse nearly all of us were, or have ancestors
> >who were burned by one governement or another (even the USA). So I would
> >not say that our distrust is unwarented.
>
> I think it's rather odd that you have such mistrust of your government.
> After all, the people in your government are there because you *elected*
> them into those positions. Why do you vote for people you don't trust?

It's not the ~people~ we don't trust, it's the ~position~. We wouldn't trust
anyone with the power, not even ourselves...which is exactly the case since
our governemnt is for, by and of us.

> >We fear all governments, yours, ours, all government. We value freedom
> >more than you do obviously. However, I do not beleive that you speak for
> >all netherlanders.
>
> Likewise, I don't believe you speak for all Americans. FREX, you have
> stated earlier that Americans are supertolerant, but I know of a mailing
> list whose archive is full of examples of Americans being anything but
> tolerant towards other Americans and to non-Americans.

I thought the deal was they leave you alone and you leave them alone?

But you know, I don't think they are as intolerant as you think they are.
Certain individuals can be very intolerant. -yes on that list-, but it is a
matter of averages and means.

Your perception is much less than the average perception (in the US), and
some of the individuals in question may be slightly less tolerant than the
mean.  Remember, our notion of tolerance is different.

> Likewise, you claim
> that Americans have a great distrust of government, but I know some
> Americans who unquestioningly support the current Bush regime.

Support and trust are two seperate things.

=====