----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Sloan II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sunday, June 29, 2003 10:54 am
Subject: Re:It's not just Bowie, or is it?

> Jeroen van Baardwijk wrote:
>
> > I think it's rather odd that you have such mistrust of your
> > government. After all, the people in your government are
> > there because you *elected* them into those positions. Why
> > do you vote for people you don't trust?
>
> Because otherwise, we wouldn't have *any* government. You
> can't trust *anybody* to always be a valuable public servant.
> Power corrupts, so it's possible for even the nicest, most
> heroic politician to become corrupt or power-hungry. We
> need safeguards in place to keep it from causing too much
> damage, when it happens.

While I agree with you here (but find the US political model questionable on a number
of counts), how on topic is all this?  Is this list going to a slightly more toned
down version of the original list?

On a Brinnish topic, has anyone ever considered the role that Brin casts humanity in
in his Uplift series?  Especially his second series (mind you, i've only read
brightness reef so far).  I feel that he uses his space opera collection of races to
represent his interpretation of different aspects of humanity, and the human race as
the ideal.  This seems to be especially true in Brightness Reef, where a genuinely
cosmopolitan mix is proposed in a round about way as an alternative to the universe of
the Precursors.

Thoughts?

Ibrahim Underwood

Singapore

NOTICE: This communication is meant only for the addressee(s) named above and may
contain information which is confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not
the named addressee(s), or the agent responsible for receiving and delivering this
communication to the named addressee(s), this communication has been sent to you in
error. If so, kindly contact us immediately for retrieval purposes. Unauthorised
dissemination,distribution, copying or reliance on this communication is prohibited
and may attract criminal penalties. Thank you.

[Sponsored by:]
The newest lyrics on the Net!