On 2002.11.04, Joerg Schilling wrote:
:
: But DVD-* media is cheaper and I see no advantage in using DVD+ media.

One advantage I find is the ability to burn directly from NFS mounted
partitions. It's slow but it works well. I've got gobs and gobs of data
spread across many machines, many filled to capacity. It takes me less
time and a lot less work to cross mount our aging workstations and burn
directly than it does to copy and create iso files, and then burn.

Other advantages are the ability to completely fill the disks (> 4 GB
iso files are a problem on 32 bit systems) and not needing free space
for the disk images.

Although its possible to pipe mkisofs output to cdrecord and avoid
producing an image, (which I usually do for CDR), buffer underruns
are a problem when the files live across on a NFS partition.

Of course, YMMV.

--
Frank Hage  [EMAIL PROTECTED]