>From: Matthias Schniedermeyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> : But DVD-* media is cheaper and I see no advantage in using DVD+ media.
>>
>> Other advantages are the ability to completely fill the disks (> 4 GB
>> iso files are a problem on 32 bit systems) and not needing free space
>> for the disk images.

>"When you don't know what you are talking about. Shut up". :-)

See above ;-)......

>You can't make a single file bigger than 2 GB in an ISO-Filesystem,
>corect. But that is a limitation in of the ISO-Filesystem itself.

The OP did not talk about single files _inside_ an ISO FS but about ISO-FILES
which usually is a file holding an ISO FS as content.

>When you have a problem creating the 4.5GB Image-File then your system
>isn't up to date. Update the system or use the split-option of mkisofs.

>I burn DVD-Rs for more than a year now and from day one on i had never
>problems with file-sizes (*1) (*2)

This is true.

>*1: Except that i had to patch the ISO-driver in Linux (kernel 2.4.9) to
>recognize files bigger than 1 GB. But that patch made into "normal"
>Linux a few revisions later.

A known old bug in the linux kernel

>*2: I don't count the 2GB Limitation of ISO-fs as a problem. As it is
>conceptual there is nothing you can do about it.

Future versions of mkisofs will allow you to use > 2 GB files in UDF
filesystems.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]               (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]           (work) chars I am J"org Schilling