On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 11:49:47AM -0700, Frank Hage wrote:
> On 2002.11.04, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> :
> :
> : But DVD-* media is cheaper and I see no advantage in using DVD+ media.
>
> Other advantages are the ability to completely fill the disks (> 4 GB
> iso files are a problem on 32 bit systems) and not needing free space
> for the disk images.

"When you don't know what you are talking about. Shut up". :-)

You can't make a single file bigger than 2 GB in an ISO-Filesystem,
corect. But that is a limitation in of the ISO-Filesystem itself.

With any other filesystem (or not filesystem at all), that is capable of
having bigger files, you don't have that problems.

When you have a problem creating the 4.5GB Image-File then your system
isn't up to date. Update the system or use the split-option of mkisofs.

I burn DVD-Rs for more than a year now and from day one on i had never
problems with file-sizes (*1) (*2)

*1: Except that i had to patch the ISO-driver in Linux (kernel 2.4.9) to
recognize files bigger than 1 GB. But that patch made into "normal"
Linux a few revisions later.

*2: I don't count the 2GB Limitation of ISO-fs as a problem. As it is
conceptual there is nothing you can do about it.

Bis denn