[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Schniedermeyer) quoted and then wrote:

>To:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hage)
>CC:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 11:49:47AM -0700, Frank Hage wrote:
>> On 2002.11.04, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>> :
>> :
>> : But DVD-* media is cheaper and I see no advantage in using DVD+ media.
>>
>> Other advantages are the ability to completely fill the disks (> 4 GB
>> iso files are a problem on 32 bit systems) and not needing free space
>> for the disk images.
>
>"When you don't know what you are talking about. Shut up". :-)
>
>You can't make a single file bigger than 2 GB in an ISO-Filesystem,

Do you say that because you are treating the Directory Record field
Data Length (9.1.4) as a signed number ?   While that would restrict
the length to slightly over 2 GB, it might be safest if there is a
thought that a receiving system would try to stuff it into a 32-bit
register and treat it as a signed number.

>corect. But that is a limitation in of the ISO-Filesystem itself.

But the Data Length field is _not_ the length of data in the file.
It is the data length field of the File Section.  The number of
possible File Sections for a single file is so large that the size
of the Data Length field is just not a limiting factor.

I believe I recall Joerg Schilling posting in the past that some
Unix-like systems do not handle multiple File Sections properly.
If such systems are used by your target audience, a pragmatic
approach would be to avoid them.  But that is not a limitation
of ISO-9660 itself.

>I burn DVD-Rs for more than a year now and from day one on i had never
>problems with file-sizes (*1) (*2)

>*2: I don't count the 2GB Limitation of ISO-fs as a problem. As it is
>conceptual there is nothing you can do about it.

It is not conceptual -- it is a defect of particular implementations.
Those who do not want to switch to a different operating system can
write a different implementation for their chosen operating system.
Or they can decide to live with the problem.  But in doing so they
should not blame ISO-9660.

Larry Kilgallen