On Sun, 9 Jun 2002, Dan Brown wrote:

>       Finally got a tape drive to play with, so I gave this a try on a
> 5.5b9 box.  Had a few problems; not quite sure what to do about them:
>
> 1.    /dev/nst0 doesn't exist.  I guess the solution would be to
> /bin/mknod /dev/nst0 c 9 128 (the 9 and 128 coming from /dev/nst0 on
> a live system) before starting any of the other operations.

As you've noted later, /dev/nst0 does exist. However, if you've installed
a SCSI host adaptor after you've installed your system, there will be
nothing to tie the correct driver to the device file, so any attempt to
talk to the tape drive will fail.

You will need to have a line "alias scsi_hostadapter xxxx" in
/etc/modules.conf, where "xxxx" is the correct driver for your scsi card.
If you don't know what the correct driver is, a quick way to work it out
is to delete the existing scsi_hostadapter line (which should be
ide_scsi), and then run kudzu:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/kudzu

To avoid any breakage, tell kudzu to ignore any changes it detects other
than the scsi host adapter.

Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 592 5660 or 592 2122  Fax: +1 (613) 592 1175