On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Dan Brown wrote:

>       The context was trying to restore a system in an automated fashion,
> following your suggestion (a few months ago) to try adding a few
> commands to the ks.cfg file on a reinstallation floppy.  Run a tape
> backup, create a reinstall floppy, edit the ks.cfg file on that
> floppy, then drop in a new hdd and boot from the floppy.  The
> installer detects the SCSI card (an Adaptec 2940UW) just fine, says
> it's loading the driver for the card, and installs everything from
> the 5.5b9 CD.  When it gets to the post-install configuration, the
> errors I posted previously come up on one of the virtual consoles.
>
>       The commands I'd added at the bottom of ks.cfg were:
>
> mknod /dev/nst0 c 9 128
>
> cd /
> /bin/mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
> /bin/mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf 1
> /usr/bin/flexbackup -extract
> /bin/mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
>
> /sbin/e-smith/signal-event post-restore
>
>       I could add a modprobe, I guess, but it sounds like that module
> should already be loaded.

The SCSI module is loaded, but the SCSI tape module is not! And guess
what? There is no st.o module for the BOOT variant of the kernel!

>  Any other ideas of things to try?

Run the tape restore after the post-install reboot. It actually wouldn't
be hard to change the "bootstrap" console to do a tape restore if the
config db is configured appropriately. The you would just need to add the
relevant db set commands do the kickstart file to configure the system to
do a tape restore immediately after reboot. This would be easier to do
than to configure the installer boot kernel to handle tape drives - and
just as effective.

Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 592 5660 or 592 2122  Fax: +1 (613) 592 1175