On Saturday, February 25, 2017 10:27:11 AM Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> x...@freenetproject.org writes:
> > That is unfortunately something our privacy-focused users will certainly
> > not accept :|
>
> We could also move more of our discussions to FMS. It’s code has
> nowadays been checked by at least two established users, and most
> interactive development already happens over IRC.

The unwritten social contract of the purpose of our mailing lists IMHO is:
Low frequency discussion of subjects which are *very* important and thus must
reach even the participants who are too busy to read the high volume daily
traffic of IRC.

This cannot be provided by FMS:
It requires running and maintaining Freenet and FMS itself, with a very high
uptime of "run it every day for at least some hours".

That is too much hassle, we cannot expect it from e.g. computer scientists who
participate in the mailing lists for noticing scientific discussions about the
network. Those people don't actually always want to *run* Freenet, they're in
for the science - which happens to be among the most valuable contributions,
so we must not neglect their desires :|

Also, the "*very* important subjects" aspect means that the lists must work
even if Freenet is broken due to e.g. an attack - another reason against FMS.