On Tue, 2017-02-28 at 19:04 +0100, x...@freenetproject.org wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 09:03:07 AM Florent Daigniere wrote:
> > > Mailing lists and mail must keep working.
> >
> > If you want to be useful, compile a list of *all* the requirements;
> > that's what we need.
>
> - SSL for the website + downloads.

SSL from where to where? Which URLs do we want to keep? Right now the
downloads come from github!

> - SSL must be compatible with the SSL stuff fred uses for downloading
> plugins
> (and updates?). Same for update.sh / update.cmd / what we provide for
> MacOS.

Clarify what you mean by "compatible"; The current certificate will
expire soon... Even if I find a drop-in replacement it will eventually
break.

> - scales well to high traffic situations in case we get on the news.

That means using a CDN (and is related to the first requirement)

> - Dan's implementation of the new site design must actually work on
> it.
> - automatic language detection & redirect to the translation. Sounds
> simple
> but IIRC GitHub has issues with it. AFAIK Dan has used a framework
> which is
> suitable for this, so it's may only be a matter of choosing a hoster
> which
> allows that framework. Re-doing the site in another framework would
> take too
> long as our SSL cert expires soon.

I am not sure what you are alluding to; We can always do it with
javascript.

> - the devl and support mailing lists must keep working. The others are
> dead.

Again; what does "keep working" mean? We are moving away from mailman,
do we need them to have the same addresses? Do we need the moderation
features?

> - existing mail forwards must keep working.
> - bonus, not requirement: subdomains + htaccess redirects or HTML
> redirects.
> Yes, HTML redirs would be ugly but can have the useful effect of
> showing the
> visitor a text before the redirect happens, e.g. "Redirecting you to a
> read-
> only copy of our old Wiki. Our new writable Wiki is located at GitHub
> here:".

I don't understand what you mean by subdomains.

> > Right now we need "doing", time for debates/arguments is over.
>
> We had not discussed what to do with the mailing lists / mail
> forwarding yet,
> have we? We shouldn't just silently shut off major services without
> discussion.
>
> Anyway, please just tell us what the Amazon product you want is called
> then people can say whether what it provides is OK with them.

duh? It's called AWS. Which specific product from that suite we use
depends on the requirements.

> Its name would probably be less words than cutting me down once more
> ;)

There's no way we can fit the above requirements with a single product;
For the websites we are heading for:
route53, KMS, ACM, cloudfront, S3 and maybe API-gateway+lambda
For "email" the requirements aren't clear enough; probably
SES + WorkMail
But we need something else if we keep the mailing lists... which right
now I am not convinced we should.

Florent