On 2017-05-24 15:28, mar...@stack.nl wrote:
In our previous episode, nore...@z505.com said:

How in the world do people (you) keep up with reading email lists and
not waste the entire day?

Avoid the following
- long discussions about new features
   -> design by committee was never successful anyway.

Except that all the Algol features designed by a committee are slipping their way into today's languages because people are smarter now and can actually implement the features on newer computers, whereas back in the 1960's they were very limited... Think about this: all the languages now that have type inference or similar (GoLang has something where you don't have to declare variables but it's still strongly typed), and think about local scoop loop iterators which many languages have. Everyone that was a skeptic of committee designed languages didn't want these features in their language, so projects spun off such as AlgolW (wirth's small algol work) which became Pascal. But now adays all the old algol committee designed features are sneaking their way into everything... Not that this is necessarily a good thing I'm not sure, but we know Small languages like AlgolW/Standard Pascal failed due to not having enough work done on them by lots of folk (like a committee) but on the other hand large languages of today such as C++/Ada are mammoths

- anything with "Schnell" and "unicode"
- preferably anything with "huys" and 'git"  :-)

Well you probably don't want to here my rants on Unicode as it's a mess and I don't have a solution, so possibly ignore all 505 unicode posts Haha.