Yes, find the bottleneck first, if possible, then upgrade to fix the known
problem. In the last century, one new FM UNIX release was extremely
sluggish in any operation that involved printers. Of course, formating FM
text for the screen involves the printer. The culprit turned out to be a
routine that polled every printer on the enterprise's network, every chance
it got! Relatively easy to fix, once the high activity was isolated.