Glen -

A fascinating question as usual and I appreciate the extra background you offer below.  I've contemplated your central conundrum ("the apparent contradiction between fascism and individuality") for most of my life, both from the inside and the outside.

I was raised among the ?natural? individualism which comes from rural/frontier culture where the value of autonomous agency and independence had obvious value while at the same time, the ability to engage in short and long-term cooperative/collective endeavors could  magnify and leverage those advantages.  There was a dynamic tension...

As I moved into more and more urbanized and collectivized contexts (cities, regional industrial contexts, university, professional organizations, scientific institutions, etc.) I felt there was an illusion of advantage given to participation in the shared identity/values implied but it was somewhat enforced by in-group/out-group logic which (dis)advantaged (non) participation.

With a little perspective of age/hindsight, I realize now that it was not nearly so simple, and that there were in fact plenty of *advantages* (carrots) to subsuming my identity, my will, my agency, my ideations to "the collective", not just alienation and punishment (sticks) for failing to participate or at least "pass"...

I now live somewhat by the assumption/belief that my "self" is something of a contrived illusion, but an autopoetic one. Somehow, it seems that the emergence of self-awareness on top of basic consciousness promotes a strong identity boundary with an acute self-other response at many levels (from the immune system to systemic racism to rabid nationalism).  My main way of resolving this is through the pop-Buddhist alone/all-one duality reflection and a sense of soft, multi-scale scoping of "self".

I know you have expressed an allergy to poetry but for others (or my own virtue-signal satisfaction) here is one I literally was writing for entirely different purposes which I think is perhaps relevant:

   The Autopoetic Self

       /Crafting the self's essence,//
       //a mental festival, an inner dance,//
       //clouds of consciousness,
       fossilized memories//revisited and refreshed.
       //
       The self, a story shaped, constantly askew.
       For the self to survive,
       it must paradoxically,
            dance the /danse macabre/' *

       *(pronounced Mac-Abrey for the purposes of this poem)
       /

   Steve Smith, October 2023