On 10/4/23 4:36 AM, Pieter Steenekamp wrote:
I carefully listened to Musk's speech as provided in the reference and attempted to reconcile Marcus's comments with it. Here are my observations:

a) Marcus states, "I realized I kind of agree with Musk about the benefits of more isolation." However, I interpret Musk's stance differently. He appears to be cautioning against excessive global unity rather than advocating for more isolation. In Musk's own words, "I think we should be a little bit concerned about becoming too much of a single world government." To me, this doesn't imply a call for greater isolation, but merely warns about a single world government. Am I being overly simplistic in my understanding?

b) Marcus suggests, "I believe his advocacy may be aimed at fostering chaos." While I may strongly disagree with many of Musk's actions and statements, I don't share the belief that he desires chaos. I recognize that sometimes one must connect the dots and draw conclusions without concrete evidence, so I don't fault Marcus for his perspective. However, it's crucial to emphasize that I have not come across any evidence supporting the idea that Musk intends to create chaos.

Reading Isaacson's biography of Musk it seems highly credible that Musk *likes* disruption... that he likes to disrupt his own companies' technical agendas as well as their staff's tactical styles.   Isaacson gives Musk a lot of tentative but qualified credit for this:

Musk's cowboy effort/demonstration last Xmas break of going into the Sacramento Data Center and moving (dozens?) of server racks to Washington State (Tacoma/Seattle) to /demonstrate to the arm of X/Twitter responsible for such things that their estimates of the effort and time involved were unreasonably long/, is a good example.   The net effect was, in fact, negative by most measures, but his intention as described was ultimately to make a point in spite of his face.  And (maybe) it worked.   There was definitely an overt *performative cruelty* or at least *punishing* aspect to this demonstration but it may have helped to move other sub-projects along much faster than they would have otherwise. X/Twitter survived the chaos that ensued...

He has done the same many times with Tesla and SpaceX technical arms/agendas/phases.    One *could* say that he doesn't *intend* the resulting chaos but rather simply "risks it", but my reading is that he sees the (contained in space and time) as a tool to dislodge *other* parts of his business ventures from local minima with the *threat* of disruption.   As I remember another anecdote... he pulled a lot of engineers off of various time-critical SpaceX missions onto a self-imposed deadline on a less time-critical mission which was very frustrating to most if not all of the engineers being jerked around, but after the fact some or even many of the engineers acknowledged that the forced march on a project not near and dear to them rejuvenated them and refocused them on their home-turf project.   It is at the very least an injection of "noise" into a gradient-descent algorithm that (sometimes) helps jog things out of a local minima.

This is not to say that Musk's intentions around projects within his own domain (empire) apply to his intentions around the global socio-economic-political system they are embedded in, but it seems likely to me that he *does* believe that his tactics apply *everywhere*...  I believe/fear his influence is outsize (by multiples even of the Gilded Age Robber Barons).   One can give the likes of Genghis Khan and Chairman Mao credit for reshaping significant geopolitical regions profoundly, but that doesn't mean we would support doing it again if we had the opportunity.

As with my previous ramble about my own life-experience with individualism/collectivism, I think there is an acute tension between the agency facilitated by individuation/isolation and authoritarianism/collectivism.    My personal holy grail is to understand the middle ground where collective action (with wisdom) emerges from individualism without authoritarianism.   Q's motto "Where We Go One, We Go All" is creepy as hell to me... it is an overt statement that "collective action" in some way supercedes everything else.   When lead by a cult leader (and Q might not even exist but is deferred to as if a real individual authority) this kind of deference to authority is acutely dangerous.

In my last post, I wandered off of Glen's original question or point about /Fascism/ which I think he meant to emphasize top-down authoritarianism but perhaps also admits to the (illusion of?) the bottom up style of /Populism/ which seems to often go hand-in-hand with Fascism.    Musk derives his "power" from a combination of $$ and Attention, both of which we, the unwashed masses give to him every time we buy/use one of his products, reX one of his X's, or even say his name (all Press is Good Press?) out loud (even worse if you do it 3 times in front of a mirror?).   So his "power" derives from our populist support (advertent or otherwise) but he *wields* it top down through how he chooses to spend his fortune in $$ and Attention (and Reputation to a lesser extent).