Rather than -emic vs -etic, I prefer Lagrangian vs Eulerian, respectively. This avoids the concept
of "inside" vs "outside", which then avoids the scoping issue Marcus raised re:
nation vs other types of boundaries.

A self-imposed identity is just as imposed as an other-imposed identity. While
some of us may chafe at other-imposed vs self-imposed, I think there's another
type of person, those who resist any stable identity, whether other- or
self-imposed. And resistance is the wrong way to frame it. It's more like a
tendency to swirl around in an attractor versus a tendency to hop from one
basin to another.

He/Him may be relatively accurate today. But I'm not committing to its accuracy
tomorrow.