All reasonable, as is Steve's suggestion that socially stable options for identification
can be dynamic/emergent (e.g. populism's various forms). But I'd argue that one cannot
build one's own identity/narrative in a quiet space ... hedging a bit on what
"quiet" might mean. This article was interesting:

http://blog.practicalethics.ox.ac.uk/2023/10/why-i-dont-have-pronouns-in-my-bio/

"Ironically, my experience of interpellation might itself reflect how I am
interpellated. Us WEIRD people are individualists, and we’re individualists because
social forces make us this kind of being. If I weren’t interpellated as an individualist,
I probably wouldn’t feel uncomfortable at being interpellated as the kind of subject I
am. Interpellation as an individualist is a kind of ironic interpellation: it’s
inherently unstable insofar as it leaves the interpellation person unhappy with their
interpellation on the grounds that it is interpellation. Nevertheless, my discomfort is
real."

The idea that _one_ might be able to settle on a narrative somewhat isolated from the
ambient goo indicates a conclusion embedded in the premise of individualism. Rather, I'd
argue there is no such thing as an individual. There is no self to "dissolve"
and any narrative construct that seems to be an individual is, at least, fraught with
loopy causation or, at worst, incoherent. So while I like the idea that some individuals
are more robust against modal identification, it relies on a flimsy approximation to the
real situation.

With internet, we _are_ no longer what we would be without internet.
Counterfactuals are useful, but only actionable in the most antisceptic
environments (e.g. randomized controlled trials)..