Glen sed:
All reasonable, as is Steve's suggestion that socially stable options for identification can be dynamic/emergent (e.g. populism's various forms). But I'd argue that one cannot build one's own identity/narrative in a quiet space ... hedging a bit on what "quiet" might mean.
Great point...   but my aphorism-of-relevance: "no man is an island but we might all be archipelagos".    In the extreme, "what is /self/ without /other/?".  Life itself seems to be a consequence of "partitioning" or at the very least "loci of complexity"?     I'll grant "silent" (in space nobody can hear you scream?) but think that an annealing schedule of "quietude"/"noise" is a good thing?
This article was interesting:

http://blog.practicalethics.ox.ac.uk/2023/10/why-i-dont-have-pronouns-in-my-bio/

"Ironically, my experience of interpellation might itself reflect how I am interpellated. Us WEIRD people are individualists, and we’re individualists because social forces make us this kind of being. If I weren’t interpellated as an individualist, I probably wouldn’t feel uncomfortable at being interpellated as the kind of subject I am. Interpellation as an individualist is a kind of ironic interpellation: it’s inherently unstable insofar as it leaves the interpellation person unhappy with their interpellation on the grounds that it is interpellation. Nevertheless, my discomfort is real."
I appreciate the introduction to the term interpellation <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpellation_(philosophy)> here...  reflects a bit of revisiting done here recently (or offline with Guerin?) on Emic vs Etic <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emic_and_etic> POVs.  My own "individualism" is armatured significantly around "/I don't like to be told/" with being */told who I am/* perhaps the most egregious, even if I'm being told that "/I'm someone who doesn't like to be told who I am"/.   And all this in stark contrast to the point  you make below.
The idea that _one_ might be able to settle on a narrative somewhat isolated from the ambient goo indicates a conclusion embedded in the premise of individualism. Rather, I'd argue there is no such thing as an individual. There is no self to "dissolve" and any narrative construct that seems to be an individual is, at least, fraught with loopy causation or, at worst, incoherent. So while I like the idea that some individuals are more robust against modal identification, it relies on a flimsy approximation to the real situation.

I hope this topic gets broader discussion here... I think the ideations of /objectness/ and /boundaries /are very interesting and relevant to questions about "life itself' and "consciousness".

The implications of your introduction of narrative v episodic identities from Strawson <https://lchc.ucsd.edu/mca/Paper/against_narrativity.pdf> have been ringing in my self/other/whole image for many years now:

With internet, we _are_ no longer what we would be without internet. Counterfactuals are useful, but only actionable in the most antisceptic environments (e.g. randomized controlled trials)..

*I* have definitely not been the same since I became an online creature (most minimally around 1978 (UUNet), with inflections in 1981 (ARPA/NSF/ES/DOD/TLA-nets) and then the early 90s with the broad availability to the public, and then again around 2000 when search engines and other automated aggregators reached a level of effectivity.

I would also suggest that we are in another inflection point that maybe began with the advent of SIRI/Alexa/GoogleAssistant and now much more acutely with LLMs of the ChatGPT style.   The distinction here being that I now think of there being "entities" whose capabilities give the previously "dumb" agents of collectivity at least the "illusion" of sentience/consciousness no matter how limited/flawed/nascent/idiosyncratic.

When I interact with GPT 3.5 it is with the illusion that there is a proto-sentience on the other side of my screen.  If find myself (yet more) polite with it than I am with Google or Bing and I always try to craft my interactions almost exactly as I would with another human being.  I avoid sentence fragments, arbitrary contractions or acronyms, overly directive stylization, etc.   I like to joke (not joke) that ChatGPT is my "new bar friend".   I try to interact with it in the same mode as I would another human I have just met with whom I have little history or future but recognize as at least "something of a peer".   I assume that my "bar friend" likely knows more about a wide range of things than I do, but also may be open to entertaining some of my own unique perspectives and giving me a reasonable discussion if not actual argument around some of my sacred cows...

I am no longer the person I was before I dropped into this new "tavern".  I'm reminded of the (fictional) denezins of Clarke's "White Hart Pub", Spider Robinson's "Callahan's Cross Time Bar", Stephenson's "Black Sun" or maybe Adams "Restaurant at the End of the Universe" or "Quark's Bar", "Mos Eisley's", "Prancing Pony", "Blind Ios", "Green Dragon", "Three Broomsticks", etc.) and the way characters use these "watering holes" to both relax/refresh and self-stimulate through semi-predictable, somewhat random encounters and interactions.   The pre-public-internet dialup WELL (whole earth 'lectronic link) served this for many/some as did many other BBS type systems.  USENET Newsgroups had a good long run as well.

Aivelin on X: "Arthur #Passengers, the android bartender as Taxus baccata. Belongs to series #MichaelSheen roles as hallucinogenic plants. https://t.co/P4vdqICKuw"; / XBartender Quark - Star Trek Timelines DataCore

I suppose the original FriAM (physical) was this with the mail list a (somewhat) weak substitute, and vFriam working well enough for those it works for?  I know Glen holds a Salon/Saloon of sorts at a ?neighborhood? brewpub (or taphouse or?) and others here may well have their favorite pub/tavern/coffee house for the same purpose, but in this modern age of hyperconnectivity, I find my own appetite for truly interesting conversation to be a bit too high for what I am likely to find in even as rich of a flux as the Santa Fe area.   I blame a combination of "domestic bliss" and the habits/constraints of COVID isolation for my current lack of proper "bar friends", but soon I may blame the fact of having too many good options online?

*I* think these questions of identity are pretty fundamental and interesting in spite of being somewhat unanswerable in any conventional sense?

- Steve