Dan,
Half full, half empty call it what you want, we have slowly been getting
hacked apart by valve and their crazy decisions that affect all communities
negatively.

I setup 2 new servers nearly 2 weeks ago, that was filled mostly by
quickplay - and now when i look at Dr.McKay's plugin "player analytics" my
server is sustaining a player count based off of History & Favorite joins.
I must be doing something right.  After all these were "quickplay players
that arn't part of the community" - but apparently they are now thanks to
QP showing them to the server.  That's 80% lost thanks to this update.

We can all just play on valve servers but you are failing to realize that
we are the ones that made TF2 better.  Playing vanilla with no sense of
community, added benefits; stats, incentives, contests that some of us run
make TF2 enjoyable to keep coming back to play.  We are added value that
helps keep TF2 interesting.