I don't generally post to this list, but I would like to add some
statistics from my community.  McKay already posted some of them, but
here are some more numbers.

We run 3 dedicated boxes, and about 20 total TF2 servers.  Of those, 14
are quickplay.  The quickplay servers are mostly vanilla, with some
various donor perks that don't affect gameplay whatsoever.   In the last
month we have seen about***140,000 unique players* and *475,000
individual sessions*.  We're not a gigantic community, but we're
definitely not small either.  At least 2500 players have > 24 hours of
play time on our servers, and I don't really see those players
disappearing--at least not right off.

Our community relies 100% on donations, so a temporary decrease in
quickplay traffic wont affect us at all in regards to keeping our
servers up (no ad revenue).  But looking at our server list this
morning, I noticed that our Chicago system which usually has 7 servers
full around this time of day instead has 3.  If we're unable to keep our
servers full, I'm sure the donors will eventually start to dwindle as well.

Now there's no real way for community owners to fight back.  Really our
only defense is to post to the mailing list and hope our message is read
by a Valve employee, but that alone doesn't create change.  If we can
all band together behind a single solution though, it certainly wouldn't
hurt our cause.

That said, let's get the ball rolling on some ways we can help Valve
combat players getting matched into terrible quickplay servers, without
ripping apart the communities which make this game so great.

Here are a couple of my ideas:

*1) Quickplay ID Grouping*
Have the ability to register a community/group ID to associate different
quickplay IDs.  This way if one server breaks the terms of service, they
can all be shut down fairly easily.  Of course, this incentivises good
communities to use this option, and the troll/spam/greedy ones not to
use it.  I think that's fine.  Prioritize traffic of those communities
who have > 2 servers on the same group ID, and make it a little bit
harder to start out without a community ID (sorry new folks, but I don't
see an elegant solution here for you).

*2) User-based voting*
For all users matched through quickplay, have them actually rate the
server they were connected to once they leave.  A simple 1-5 star system
and a "flag as abusive" button to start a ticket would be great.  If a
user has already rated that server, show their previous vote and allow
them to change it.  By not allowing the same user to repeatedly vote on
the same server would help cut back on people down-voting other
communities just to get more traffic sent to their own.  This can work
with the first idea to rank communities as a whole.  So if you run a
solid community and launch a new server, it wont be so hard to fill it
up.  You've proven your worth, and you shouldn't need to do it with
every server launch.  But if you run a poor community, it will affect
all your servers.

*3) Un-check the box
*Everyone else said it.  Don't pick valve servers for people by
default.  I think it's totally fine to have that option available, but
pulling all the players away who don't really understand what that means
doesn't seem fair.  I believe new players are already being matched to
Valve servers with super high priority, until they spend a few hours in
the game and get a feel for what a 100% vanilla, un-moderated server is
like.  Good!  Keep doing that.  Just don't grab the players who aren't
new to the game, but haven't learned how to connect anywhere without
quickplay button.

~ rann