Do you still see this issue in 6u10?

Have you tried disabling the use of DirectDraw in 6u2?
(-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true).
What you're describing sounds more like a Direct3D issue. Earlier releases
(5-6u2/3) were using Direct3D for some simple operations, which sometimes
caused problems you describe. I think the old d3d pipeline was disabled by
default in windowed mode sometime around 6u3 if I"m not mistaken, but you
could try disabling it with the flag (either the noddraw one above, or
-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false).

Dmitri
[Message sent by forum member 'trembovetski' (trembovetski)]