Thanks, Richard, for submitting this.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Reposted from http://weblogs.java.net/blog/chet/archive/2006/10/java_on_vista_y.html on
> Dmitri's suggestion...

So here's an interesting problem, related to - if not directly caused by - Java on Vista.
> Brand new machine (Lenovo T61p T7700, 4GB, NVidia Quadro FX 570M driving
1680x1050 LCD,
> Vista Ultimate 32-bit from Microsoft GM DVD - not the Lenovo pre-install),
with Java
> 1.6.0_03. When docked (but not when not docked), I run it in a dual-monitor
> configuration (add on a 1600x1200 external display via DVI). Two or three
times
> a day, the machine simply "turns off" when I am switching to or from
> the Java application (Interactive Brokers trade station started via

  When you say "switch to/from", do you mean alt+tabbing
  in/out? (I'm asking because you mentioned that the application
  is running full-screen - I'm assuming it's "real" full-screen
  mode).

  Or did you just mean "maximized" window?

> .jnlp download through Firefox). If I don't have the IB Java app running,

  Do you have a link for this application?
  (hopefully they have a demo I could try)

> the machine works flawlessly. If I run the IB Java app "undocked" (ie, just
the
> 1680x1050 LCD driven), no problem. Seems like an odd interaction between the
> display driver and Java. I'm running the NVidia 7.15.11.5685 drivers dated
12/10/07.
> Again, it's not a BSOD. The machine simply and instantaneously powers off.
> Java itself, I hope, cannot do that, but the display driver might be able to
> cause such a serious fault.

Any thoughts?

Dmitri has suggested I try a different Java app and the latest build of 6uN,
> which I'll do. I'll add that I run the Java app "full screen" (which, in
> a dual display environment, means only 1 screen - the 1600x1200 screen,
> which is "below" the 1680x1050 screen).

  Does the problem occur when you only have one screen (1600x1200)?

  Which of the two screen is your primary screen?

As I don't have any other Java apps that I routinely run, I'm willing
> to try any Java apps anyone thinks might be "best" for this kind of trial.

  You can try one of these simple demos for a start (SwingSet would
  be preferable):
    http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/demos.html

  None of them enter full-screen mode though.

  Thank you,
    Dmitri
  Java2D Team