[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Moments after I posted this, the symptom occurred. (Machine simply powers off. No BSOD,
no warning, just "off". Like the power cord had been pulled on a desktop. Only
this is a notebook with a fully charged battery plugged in to a UPS. ;-)

  I am now starting to suspect that this doesn't have
  much to do with graphics. 6u3 and 6u10 use very
  different APIs for rendering on Vista, so I can't
  imagine how both of them could cause such
  failure.

  I'm wondering if you have an issue with system
  memory or something. Java may trigger it because
  it uses quite a bit of memory. I don't know,
  just thinking aloud.

  Do you have your manifacturer's
  testing tools? (sometimes you can boot into
  their tools and run some tests from there)

  Also, could you check event log and see if there's
  anything there? (Control Panel/
  Administrative Tools/Event Viewer).

  Thanks,
    Dmitri

Next experiment: run with just one display, the external 1600x1200 display. Personally, I
think this will "work", but that's just gut feel.

Thanks,
Richard
[Message sent by forum member 'rrelph' (rrelph)]