30.11.2015 13:41, Erich Titl пишет:
> Am 30.11.2015 um 10:44 schrieb Andrew:
>> 30.11.2015 11:11, Erich Titl пишет:
>>> Hi Andrew

>>> Don't do that, initrd is overloaded as it is now,
>> Why you think that using separate packages for that files are better
>> than placing them into initrd? Or you know LEAF usecases when, for ex.,
>> root.lrp with all it's dependencies wasn't loaded?
> I am just afraid of overloading initrd, I need to package it with
> initmod, because grub does not support multple initrd files.
> ..
I think that 850kb instead of 550kb isn't a big difference.
>>> cheers
>>>
>>> ET
>>>
>> Yes, I know that. And this is one of reasons why I want to make solid
>> initrd that will contain all basic stuff that is currently placed in
>> root.lrp and it's deps. Because on embedded platforms with small amount
>> of RAM and available MTD device (that is always connected to SoC) it'll
>> be preferrable to use squashfs initrd that is always mounted (+ mount
>> overlayfs on top of it) rather than copy all stuff from it to valuable RAM.
> If we can place initrd on squashfs this is certainly better. The
> question is here, can we low_level load the squashfs initrd, so we can
> load the storage and network drivers from there?
>
> cheers
>
> ET

For embedded platforms, kernel should contain all boot-required modules
compiled in. And SoC network drivers also may be compiled in kernel, not
as modules to save some space. Rest of modules (like additional USB
network adapters, iptables modules and so on) will be compiled as modules.