30.11.2015 23:44, Erich Titl пишет:
> Hi Andrew
>
> Am 30.11.2015 um 14:16 schrieb Andrew:

> That is fine, if you load it from a single .lrp, initrd is IMHO the
> wrong place.
Why? What difference between single big .lrp, and placing all into
initrd? IMHO there's only one trouble - with current environment we
can't just run 'apkg -u initrd.lrp', but 1) basic things aren't updated
too frequently and 2) this is solveable.

>>> I am just afraid of overloading initrd, I need to package it with
>>> initmod, because grub does not support multple initrd files.
>>> ..
>> I think that 850kb instead of 550kb isn't a big difference.
>>

> What do you consider moving from root.lrp to initd? Why not make a big
> root.lrp which contains everything for a basic system and leave initrd
> tiny?
This will be a RAM waste, esp. on devices with 32M RAM

> and it's deps. Because on embedded platforms with small amount
>
> Yes, but unless you can access the medium containing the squashfs that
> won't work.

On embedded platform, mtdblock driver will be compiled in kernel - so
we'll have access.

>>> If we can place initrd on squashfs this is certainly better. The
>>> question is here, can we low_level load the squashfs initrd, so we can
>>> load the storage and network drivers from there?
>>>
>>> cheers
>>>
>>> ET
>>>
>> For embedded platforms, kernel should contain all boot-required modules
>> compiled in.
>
> Totally agreed, this may mean we have a number of kernels for various
> platforms.
Yes, of course. Each SoC (or even each hardware platform) will require
it's own kernel - like OpenWRT does. And there's no solution to create
single kernel that will boot on SoCs from different vendor. Too big
difference in chips. And even different SoCs families will require
different kernel patches.

> And SoC network drivers also may be compiled in kernel, not
>> as modules to save some space. Rest of modules (like additional USB
>> network adapters, iptables modules and so on) will be compiled as
>> modules.
>
> I suggest to build a new modules.sqfs with the kernel directory level
> removed and permanently mounted to /lib/modules/kernel. This way we
> can avoid to have to copy the modules to /lib/modules completely. We
> just need to run depmod once the squashfs is mounted, then module
> modules are needed they can either be on an OverlayFS or be written to
> a subdirectory of /lib/modules.

Permanent squashfs mounting IMHO isn't a good idea - this will require
permanent underlying device mounting. This is OK when we use mtdblock
which contains squashfs - but device's flash size usually 4-8 MB, so
there'll be no free place for modules.sqfs on it. Rest of files will be
loaded from USB flash, or even from network.

This may be done as option - but IMHO it'll be useful only in some rare
cases. Because main feature of LEAF - it doesn't require HDD/flash
storage that is always mounted. Else you may took? for ex., debian,
install it on flash, mount it's root as r/o on boot and use it...