2010/5/18 Bob W <p...@web-options.com>:

> Last August - 10 months ago - I bought a netbook from amazon.co.uk. It's
> been heavily used since then, on a daily basis. Last week it stopped working
> and today I found out it's a problem with the motherboard, so I phoned
> Amazon, told them the problem and they said 'ok, send it back. That model's
> no longer available so we'll refund you in full'. I told them I was going to
> wipe the hard disk first, to remove all personal data, and they were fine
> with that.
>
> Great service, but they are in any case obliged by law in Europe to do this.

Not quite, under the law they have three repair attempts per any
single defect before they have to take anything back. amazon are doing
this of their own volition, leveraging above market standard service
to generate more volume at above market prices. their service
reputation is a large part of their business model imvho.

I buy the vast majority of my non-consumables and non-eBay-steals from
amazon because they never give me any trouble whatsoever if something
fails  -my Panasonic DMC-TZ5 did a while ago and they even suggested I
should send it to them for full refund and a chance to buy a better
camera with that money instead of having it repaired and returned by
Panasonic. Even compared to amazon Marketplace I always end up paying
slightly more. They don't compete down to the last penny. But it is
money well spent every time their service goes that extra mile.

Cheers
Ecke