They do have it written somewhere. In fact I think it was included with the documentation I received when I bought my K20D. I made sure that I'd have no problems if it proved unsuitable, or DOA, as I needed it for an assignment.

On 5/18/2010 2:40 PM, Jeffery Smith wrote:
Do they have that written somewhere? I think that the early problems with the M8
were probably abundantly obvious to B&H at the time. It certainly was well
documented on the web that many cameras were breaking down very quickly. There is
an adage that you should never buy the first version of anything, and that seems to
have applied to the M8.

On May 18, 2010, at 1:25 PM, P. J. Alling wrote:

B&H photo gives you a week or so, (I can't remember how long exactly), and a
couple hundred exposures before giving you a problem with a return.  Dead after 20
exposures, is well within that return policy.

On 5/18/2010 2:12 PM, Jeffery Smith wrote:
Post Katrina there were no places in this part of the state stocking the M8. I
bought it from B&H and was referred to Leica since it did not arrive dead on
arrival. It took about 20 exposures before it died.

On May 18, 2010, at 12:51 PM, John Sessoms wrote:

From: Jeffery Smith

I got flamed on the Leica Users Group forum for mentioning this, but
my M8's were anything but reliable. My first one died after about a
week, and Leica ignored all of my phone calls and emails until I
finally contacted the president of the company personally. If you
aren't a professional photographer, you can forget about customer
service from Leica. You don't exist. The second M8 body would not
recognize any of the memory cards I used. Leica blamed the memory
cards and refused to repair or replace the camera. I bought every
different brand of memory card listed as compatible on Leica's site,
and all gave me a "no memory card" error until I removed the battery,
waited a few minutes, and then reinserted the battery (which
apparently rebooted the camera). I had to repeat this every time I
wanted to shoot a frame. Once the camera was turned off or turned
itself off, the no memory card error reappeared.  Until a new
firmware upgrade appeared last year, the M8 just sat in a drawer. The
firmware upgrade seems to have fixed the memory card problem.

Who did you buy the camera from? I mean, NYC mail-order, local dealer or direct
from Leica USA?

If I bought a camera that only worked for a week, I'd start with whoever I
bought it from, and put the onus on them to make it right. Same for one that
wouldn't work at all from the get-go.

The dealer should have more leverage with the manufacturer, and if they don't
it's still not MY problem. They sold it, they're responsible for making good.

I prefer to deal locally whenever I can, simply because if something DOES go
wrong, I get more stress relief if there's someone I can look in the eye while
I'm yelling at him.

I had some problems one time with a major NYC mail-order house getting a problem
fixed, but in retrospect the problem had more to do with the difficulties of trying
to communicate three ways (dealer, manufacturer&   me) across 9 time zones by
email. They did finally understood the problem and got it sorted out for me.

I would, and have bought from them since then ... when I couldn't find what I
wanted locally.

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Courier
New;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 I've just upgraded to Thunderbird 3.0 and the
interface subtly weird.\par
}